Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Preserve It.

I pack my lunch at least three out of five days during the work week. There used to be a time when I would pretty much always pack my food in one of these:


Sure, it seems pretty "normal" but when you start reading all the stuff out there about BPA plastic and about how we rely so heavily on plastic that can't even be recycled, it starts to get you thinking. Then, when you look at huge corporations like Glad and Rubbermaid who make these containers and see that they aren't the best businesses to spend your money on, you might decide you need a change.
And that's what I did.

I started purchasing these:

Preserve containers!!

I love these things! Preserve makes products from recycled #5 plastics (which cannot currently be recycled at most recycling centers in Indiana), as well as Brita filters and makes really awesome containers like mine. [To learn more about how to recycle your #5 plastics, click here.] Every month or so, I pick up a new container and I want to eventually get to the point where I only use glass containers or Preserve.

I also totally love the green color, but they also have products in other colors. They make bowls, plates, colanders, cutting boards, cutlery, cups, razors and toothbrushes!

I use the toothbrush as well (green, of course!). [I would have included a picture of it, but I actually left it at work, so I'm using my temporary back-up now!] I get the type that comes in the mail-back package so that when you finish using the toothbrush, you just stick it back in the container it came in, seal it up and put it in the mailbox. Preserve will recycle it over and over again!

As a single, broke vegan I don't have a lot of money to go green in my entire household or buy a Smart car or anything like that. But doing small things like this gives me confidence that even a little change makes a big difference.

No comments: