Sunday, February 6, 2011

SUPER BOWL of Chili

Lots of yummy vegan deliciousness today. I overslept this morning, so my first meal was lunch at Panera with the family. I had a Greek salad.

Mom had a cup of black bean soup and a Mediterranean veggie sandwich.

Dad had an Italian combo sandwich and Stephen had mac+cheese and Sierra turkey sandwich. I didn't get pics of theirs, 'cause they dug in pretty quickly.

Then, we decided to get together for the Super Bowl. Really, it's just an excuse to hang out and have lots of delicious food, otherwise known as pretty much every Sunday. I decided to make veggie chili for Mom and I. (I also brought over some white bean chipotle hummus, cranberry nut bread and chocolate chip cookies--all homemade!)

Vegan Chili
**All of these ingredient measurements are approximations. Adjust to your taste.
1-2 Tbsp. grapeseed oil or other high-heat oil (i.e., NOT olive oil)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2-3 cans of beans (I used two cans cannellini beans and one can of black beans.)
1/2-3/4 c. chopped peppers
1 small zucchini
24 oz. diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1-2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2-1 tsp. ground cayenne pepper


Chop onion, then peppers. (I used seven sweet mini peppers.)



Sautee until onions are translucent and peppers are tender. Then chop zucchini and add to pot.


I love all these colors.


Drain and rinse beans with cold water.


Add them to the pot and stir.


Next, add the spices and diced tomatoes.

These are local tomatoes that my mom gets from her biweekly Green BEAN delivery.


Finally, add the can of tomato sauce. [Mom didn't have any tomato sauce, so I had to use water to thin it out. Not terrible, but I could definitely taste the difference.]


My SUPER BOWL of vegan chili. I added vegan sour cream and several shakes of Frank's RedHot for some extra heat. [I love for my chili to burn my lips.]


Chili is one of my favorite foods, especially during really cold winter days. How spicy do you like *your* chili?

No comments: